Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The world rewards confidence, not competence.

The world rewards confidence, not competence.

Friends and colleagues know this is a “Roy-ism”. I say it all the time. Last week I got reminded of it big time.

My daughter was scheduled to sing in church. She practiced all week. Nobody in her class knew those songs and dances better than her. Yet…when it was time to go forward, she balked. She wouldn’t go up there! Despite being incredibly competent, she just didn’t have the confidence (this time) to sing in front of a crowd.

I hope we can teach my daughter this lesson early because this “Roy-ism” doesn’t just apply to church choirs, it really applies to school, to business, and to life in general.

Of course, it is best to be confident and competent. But that almost goes without saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment